Friday 24 October 2014

Kindness of Strangers

It's not until you are put in a situation like Shaun , Jb and I have that you really experience and appreciate the act of human kindness.
 
I remember my cousin Sacha writing of lovely gestures they encountered when Boris was going through the worst of his treatment in London at GOSH in her blog and after checking in to the Ronald Macdonald House we can now relate.
 
Ronald Macdonald Houses are all over Australia and available for regional families so they can have the facilities everyone takes for granted when they're away from home. We are lucky to have family in Perth but after our first experience with Joanie being in hospital it really isn't convenient to have to travel back and fourth into the busy cbd where there is little parking  and to be restricted to sleeping in an arm chair next to a very basic hospital cot 24/7. I love the staff at PMH but the old hospital itself is definitely on the way out and many are eagerly awaiting the opening of the new PMH.
 
Anyway RMH has been ideal for us , allowing Shaun and I to take turns going back and fourth to the hospital to be with Miss JB. I normally do night shift and Shaun more the days. Last night (Friday) Mum and Dad stayed with Jb whilst Shaun and I went to the RMH dinner which was put on by the mining group FMG. I will admit Shaun and I have always been pretty negative and black and white about mining companies but this group of workers who put on our dinner were some of the nicest people we've ever met. They created an Italian Restaurant called "Salute" and put on entrée, mains and desserts , many of them dressing up as Mario and Luigi. They made delicious dishes like mini chicken parmiganas, pizza, lasagne, eggplant bakes, mac and cheese, salads, I even got an affogato for desert! FMG has over 15, 000 workers and 181 of them work in a community committee that does things like cooking for families at RMH. They also had a competition amongst themselves on who cooked the best similar to MKR, we all were given score cards and I wrote lots of feedback and added it to their ballot box. FMG has been cooking for RMH for all of October  and they donate all the food and I was impressed to hear they also are big donators to the new RMH and have provided a HUGE amount of proceeds to the building of it.
 
Telethon Weekend starts tonight, I know there has been many worthy charities to donate to this year but if you haven't exceeded your yearly donations put a few coins towards Telethon as without the support from generous Perthites and companies such as FMG treatments such as Joanies and facilities like RMH wouldn't be available.
 
Hey Zac! I know you ring up for donations, why don't we set you a challenge to say hi to Jb , Shaun and I when you ring up this year?
 
 
 
 

1 comment:

  1. Challenge accepted Ez! Zac and Chloe are up at Jani and BB'S tonight as matt and I at WA Institute of sport dinner but we shall put in a donation especially for you all. If you dont hear it i am sure Jodi, who never misses telethon will be listening out for us. If we don't hear it tonight we shall donate more tomorrow. All for a good cause. X

    ReplyDelete